Routinely check your electrical
appliances and wiring.
Frayed wires can cause fires. Replace
all worn, old or damaged appliance cords immediately.
Use electrical extension cords wisely
and don't overload them.
Keep electrical appliances away from
wet floors and counters; pay special care to electrical appliances
in the bathroom and kitchen.
Don't allow children to play with or around electrical
appliances like space heaters, irons and hair dryers.
Keep clothes, curtains and other potentially combustible items
at least three feet from all heaters.
If an appliance has a three-prong plug, use it only in a
three-slot outlet. Never force it to fit into a two-slot outlet or
Never overload extension cords or wall sockets. Immediately shut
off, then professionally replace, light switches that are hot to the
touch and lights that flicker. Use safety closures to
"child-proof" electrical outlets.
Check your electrical tools regularly
for signs of wear. If the cords are frayed or cracked, replace them.
Replace any tool if it causes even small electrical shocks,
overheats, shorts out or gives off smoke or sparks.